The concept of “the uniform,” or wearing similar clothing every day to save time and mental energy, isn’t new, but it’s more achievable, and more stylish, than you might realize. Over at Real Men Real Style, Antonio Centeno demonstrates how a little basic math turns a few essential clothing items into the ultimate interchangeable wardrobe. If you’re a man, for example, all you need is:
- 2 Jackets, one blue, one black or brown
- 5 Shirts, five different colors (one white for sure)
- 2 Ties, two different colors
- 3 Trousers, one khaki, one black, one blue
- 2 Pairs of Shoes, two different styles and/or colors
2 x 5 x 2 x 3 x 2 = 120 Outfit Combinations
Just don’t forget a belt! The concept isn’t exclusive to men, though. You can do the same kind of thing with a few skirts and a nice dress too if you like. And when you’re only worried about having a small number of wardrobe items, you can spend a little extra on each piece—which will actually save you some hassle in the long run. So stop trying to expand your wardrobe, and work on tailoring it into the perfect mix and match set.